Thursday, April 25, 2013

Garlic & Brown Sugar Chicken


I'm a parent of two that cleans up all day after two young kids, making food all day, running in and outside to keep from the snow/rain/wind, etc. There's always something that makes my day hectic. The last couple days I've just been feeling sick and tired all the time, along with the regular stuff. I wanted to make a healthy dinner that was quick. I had chicken defrosted in the fridge and wasn't sure what to do with it. I made this recipe in the beginning of April, and now it's the end of April... that's not too soon? Is it? Usually for me it is, unless I really like the recipe. This is so simple and tastes delicious! Don't be worried by the sound of the dish... really, it works together perfectly.

Ingredients: (chicken)
4 chicken breasts
5-6 cloves Garlic
1 cup Brown Sugar
 5 tbsp. Olive Oil

Really the amount of the ingredients doesn't matter, you want to coat the chicken in this glaze before baking. I used extra this time, and it turned out so well.

Not going by the ingredients because I didn't keep track (those are just estimates)
PREHEAT: 350
I put oil in a small saute pan, enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
Saute the garlic until soft and start slowly adding brown sugar until it melts and you have just a little bit of oil left, mostly the brown sugar and garlic mix. 

I cut the chicken fat off (which means I cut off about half of the chicken! YUCK!)
laid in a 9x13 baking dish layered with foil first
and then spoon the glaze over the chicken rubbing in...

Pop the chicken in the oven for 15-30 minutes.
My chicken was pretty thick and 20 minutes was PERFECT. 
Temperature was at 167.

Always cook your chicken to at least 165,
remember if you over cook the chicken, it will be chewy and tough.
No good.

Alright, and thats all. I made rice pilaf from a box 
(I don't know of any other way to make it, but next time I'll be making brown rice)
and some mixed veggies while the chicken was cooking.

I recommend sauteed asparagus and brown rice with this chicken if you have more time.
But in a rush, rice pilaf and veggies were perfectly fine.